Undergraduate Student Staff Positions
The Office of Campus Activities (OCA) is a high-energy and vibrant office that strives to provide great resources, services, and events for students and student organizations.
In order to offer the students of CUA so much, we rely on the work of our dedicated student staff. All of our student staff are part of a larger team and have a number of shared responsibilities. In addition each member of our team will serve on one of our smaller functional area teams to complete additional hours. Each position has a starting pay rate of $10.00/hour and expects students to work 12-15 hours/week. The responsibilities of our student staff is as follows:
Responsibilities for all student staff:
Each student staff member will be scheduled to work at our front desk for 3-4 hours/week completing the following tasks:
- Assist student organizations or other visitors to OCA with questions they may have including answering how to start or join a student organization, how to use the Nest, details of upcoming events or leadership initiatives, or how to advertise through our office
- Review and approve events and flyer requests on the Nest
- Completing any assigned projects as needed
In addition every student staff member will be scheduled to assist with a variety of events coordinated by the Office of Campus Activities. Responsibilities at these events could include:
- Check-In Table
- Event Setup
- Event Cleanup
- In-Event responsibilities
Functional Area Teams
As outlined above, in addition to the hours you'll be scheduled at the front desk, for flyer distribution, and event support, each student staff member will be part of one of our functional areas. Each student staff member will work with their specific functional area supervisor to build out the remaining weekly work hours to complete their schedule and will work on tasks specific to those areas. The functional areas that you may be a part of and some of the tasks associated with those teams are below:
Student Organization Services
The Student Organization Services team will have opportunities to:
- Meet one-on-one or with groups of students to learn about their future plans and programs, provide assistance from OCA, and advise them on how to secure funding and plan their event
- Assist student organization members in learning the OCA policies and procedures for financial management of their organizations and the many components of event planning, including requesting funds from Treasury Board, submitting purchase requests on the Nest, or completing a contract for an invited speaker
- Oversee financial accounts for student organizations
- Process financial paperwork for student organizations including approving purchase requests, preparing cash boxes and purchasing cards for checkout, processing deposits from fundraisers, and reflecting financial transactions in the Nest
- Recognize student organizations through the continuation of the annual Student Organizations Excellence Awards
- Manage required documents pertaining to travel, service, and storage space
- Assist with organizing the Student Organization Mocktails Competition
Leading as a Cardinal
The Leading as a Cardinal Team will have opportunities to:
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate aspects of the Build Your Nest mentorship program and the monthly Cardinals Soar workshop series.
- Assist in planning additional workshops and events such as Apply Yourself, Launching into Leadership, and the Cardinal Leadership Celebration.
- Help in promoting and recognizing student leaders on our campus through social media campaigns.
Events and Marketing
The Events and Marketing Team will have opportunities to:
- Manage OCA's social media accounts
- Plan and market all DC Nite Out events
- Serve as event leads for the various events planned by OCA
- Assist in planning major OCA events, such as Family Weekend, Thanksgiving Potluck, Light the Season, Women's History Month, and the Cardinal Leadership Celebration
- Design and execute visual marketing campaigns for all OCA events and initiatives
Student Coordinators for Orientation are hired through a separate process from the pool of previous Orientation Advisors. This process happens early in spring semester. Please see the Orientation website for more information on the Orientation Advisor selection process.
In addition we hire one student staff member who only wants a 4 hour/week job to do a 2 hour flyer distribution shift every Monday and Wednesday throughout each semester. During these days the student staff member has flexibility to complete the flyer distribution all at once or in pieces throughout the day but they must be completed each Monday and Wednesday.
- Distributing all of that day's flyers throughout campus and putting up all flyers on designated boards
- Removing all outdated flyers from the same boards
- Providing feedback to Campus Activities staff on any updates related to new or removed bulletin boards